Local Government Employees


If you work for a local government employer that has opted out, you still have the right to take FAMLI leave. Just like self-employed workers, you will have to commit to reporting wages and paying premiums for a minimum of three years. 

If you choose to voluntarily opt in for three years of coverage, you will need to register in My FAMLI+ Employer as an employee of an opted-out local government employer in order to submit your wage reports and pay your FAMLI premiums.

  • You must register in My FAMLI+ Employer and elect to participate in the FAMLI program to participate. This is an important step to access family and medical leave benefits.
  • Your premiums will be 0.45% of your wages. 
  • When you self-elect FAMLI coverage, you must commit to paying premiums for three years. 
  • You will have to pay premiums for one quarter before you can apply for FAMLI benefit payments. 
  • Please remember the quarterly reporting deadline for employers: January 31, April 30, July 31, and October 31. This is when you will need to submit your wage data and pay  FAMLI premiums in My FAMLI+ Employer.

Employees of an opted out local government employer now have the flexibility to enter into or exit out of a remitting relationship with the local government employer. Here are some important things to know:

  • Local government employees will have to grant their employer permission to upload your wage reports and pay their premiums.
  • If you have not registered in My FAMLI+ Employer, you will have this opportunity when you create your account.
  • If you already have an account in My FAMLI+ Employer, you can find this option on your dashboard in the Manage My Account section.

Please refer to the My FAMLI+ Employer User Guide to learn more about the process.